This project was a lot of fun to play around with :D It’s kind of a triple threat in that it helped me use up some cotton scraps, I got to try out some more travel bag ideas for my upcoming trip to Metrocon, and I got to experiment with quilting in bags and pouches (and how it holds up as a stabilizer). With all that in mind I’d say it was a rousing success! They come together super fast and allow a lot of room for fun improvising. They’re a lot more forgiving to make than most train case patterns, because they’re not done the conventional way. You’ll see you use a box dart to make their shape instead of sewing curved seams or having to bind edges.
While you might be tempted to make this in whole cloth without any patchwork, I found that the finished case isn’t as sturdy without the extra quilting stitches going through it for support. So I would definitely recommend doing the quilt-as-you-go method in some fashion to get those extra seams going through your case.